the 90th minute

Until September 2007, when my oldest daughter was born, this blog covered daily life and politics in Israel, as well as Hebrew-English linguistic issues, from the perspective of an American-raised journalist and translator living in Israel. Now it mostly serves as the SmunchMonk&Bear news agency, a portal into the bizarre universe of the little people. Read more at: www.shoshanakordova.com.

Monday, September 11, 2006

Only in Israel

As I walked out of my apartment building yesterday, I encountered a middle-aged man with a beard and knitted kippa clutching the last millimeter or so of his cigarette and speaking to the garage. Or to God, as the case may be.

"Yud kay vav kay," he told the garage, using a religiously acceptable shorthand to spell out the ineffable name of God. "What do you want in the world? You want peace in the world. I also want peace in the world."

As I walked down the street, I could hear him break into song: "Oseh shalom bimromav, hu ya'aseh shalom aleinu v'al kol yisrael" ("May he who makes peace in the heavens make peace for us and for all of Israel").

Only in Israel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home